BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NaNoWriMo Update and Excerpt


It's day 10 in NaNoWriMo world, and I'm plugging along in my novel. Some days it is easier to write than others, but the preparation time I took in October for it has really paid off. Right now, I'm at 20,212 words, and I hope to write between 2000-3000 words today.

On Sunday evening into Monday, I hated this novel. It happens to most writers at some point or another where they absolutely hate the novel, the characters, and think the entire thing sucks. I was at that point, and since I was ahead of the writing curve, I read through what I've written and decided it didn't suck as bad as I thought. There are even some good things in there. *grins*

My novel Sarah's Nightmare takes place between the months of February-June with intermittent chapters and articles from the past. Today, I'll be starting to write what happens in May. I feel like I'm squarely in the middle of this novel and rushing to get to the excitement at the end. Right now, I'm not worried about descriptive details. I'm trying to get the story and emotions out first and foremost.

After all, this is a first draft...or a 1/2 draft...or even a zero draft, although I personally believe it is a better than a zero draft. *grins again*

Now, I'd like to put up a never before seen conclusion to Chapter One: The Wall Monsters. To read the beginning of this chapter excerpt, click here.

Sarah's Nightmare
Chapter One
"The Wall Monsters"
Conclusion

Even though Sarah didn't open her eyes, she knew the lights were off. She must have fallen asleep at some point.

Stifling her urge to scream, she ducked under the covers mere seconds before the meaty monster's hand touched the pillow where her head had laid. She curled into a ball while making sure no part of her body slipped out from under the sheets. Her breath breathed hot in her face, and it rushed loud in her ears. She covered her mouth and nose with her hand and tried not to breathe at all. They would hear her.

The wall monsters were here.
           
She squeezed her eyelids so tightly that it made her eyes ache. The darkness enveloped her in the stuffy cocoon, and she felt like she would suffocate, if she remained under the covers much longer.
           
Moving as slowly as possible, she crept towards the edge of the bed and lifted the sheet. Cool air struck her damp face, and she breathed in. Her sight adjusted, and she saw them. The monsters glimmered like the dull, glow stick she got when she went roller skating. They surrounded the bed.
           
Sarah peered over the side, and a black abyss greeted her. The floor under the bed had disappeared. They would drag her to Hell.
           
She knew all about Hell. They talked about it at Sunday school, but she didn't understand why she was a bad girl. She said her prayers and tried to be good. She really did.
           
Tears trickled down her cheeks when she lowered the sheet. The closed-in feeling came back with a vengeance. She couldn't breathe.
           
Her foot slipped out from under the covers.
           
A wall monster grabbed it.  
           
She let loose a muffled shriek and yanked her leg back. She kicked and struggled, and finally, the comforter covered it. She was safe for the moment.
             
Sarah wanted to cry out for her mommy or daddy. They would come, but she didn't want them taken to Hell. She didn't know what to do, but she had to do something. She had to be brave.
           
She had to leave the safety of the covers and turn on the light.
           
Peeking out from under the covers again, she tried to figure how she could beat them to the light switch.
           
The wall monsters were much bigger and faster than she was. They were angry too. Although she didn't understand what they said, their conversations buzzed like a swarm of yellow jackets. They wanted her. She would complete the set.
           
Sarah couldn't let it happen.
           
She grew slick with sweat from the heat of the covers and the fear coursing through her. Her heart's pounding competed with the too loud breathing in her ears. She peeped out at them again and saw a slender opening between two wall monsters' legs. If she was quick and quiet, she might make it.
           
She was tired of being afraid.
           
Breathing deeply through her nose, she held the breath and slipped from under the sheets.
As soon as her feet touched the ground, she wiggled through their legs and ran.
           
The monsters turned, and one growled in frustration. Fingers brushed against her curls, but they didn't catch hold.
           
She smacked against the wall and reached up. Her hand touched the bumpy walls and strained for the light switch. Her fingers stroked the clown's shoes and moved along his legs. She was almost at the switch.
           
Hands snatched at her nightgown. An arm wrapped around her waist and lifted her off the ground.
           
She flicked on the lights.
           
The light burned a reddish color behind her eyelids, and she opened them. The sheets dangled half off the bed. Her teddy bear sat in the middle of the room. She was alone.
           
The wall monsters were gone.

8 comments:

Marieke said...

I loved your last excerpt and really liked this too! Looking forward to finding out more :)

Cherie Reich said...

Thank you, Marieke!

Unknown said...

Nice!

And congrats on the wordcount. I've only just managed to stay on schedule.

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Tessa! And, that's great to stay on schedule too. It's not easy, but I've personally found the better prepared I am, the faster I can write. :D And, I found you on NaNo. I hope you don't mind that I added you as a buddy. I'm bookworm0753 there.

Cats! said...

O.O

Nicole Zoltack said...

Wow, this is great!

Aubrie said...

Great intensity in this passage! I used to think I was safe under my sheets as well. Wall monsters are a unique idea!

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Lisa, Nicole, and Aubrie!

And, the wall monsters are the reason I've slept with the lights on in my bedroom since I was four. Seriously. It may seem silly, but those are the monsters I saw, so it made a great idea to use them in a novel.