BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 4, 2010

NaNoWriMo Excerpt


As mentioned in Tuesday's post, I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. If you haven't noticed about the blog, we're a little off schedule from normal because of it. Lisa, Aubrie, and I are all working on various projects, so our posts will probably a bit more scattered this month than normal.

I've found NaNoWriMo to be great to jump start a good writing habit. Typically, I don't write every day even though I probably should. I'm happier when I'm writing than about any other time. And, doing NaNo this year made me realize how much I miss throwing myself completely into a project. I enjoy doing short stories and flash fiction and everything else I try to write, but it's nice to focus on one thing every so often.

As for a NaNo update, I've written almost 9,000 words in four days. My goal is to reach 10,000 words by 5:00 PM, when I get off work. I believe I can do it. I still have a little over two hours left.

Since I've been working on SARAH'S NIGHTMARE, I decide to post a little excerpt from it, which can also be found on the NaNoWriMo website. I'm bookworm0753 there, if you want to drop by.

Here is my excerpt:

CHAPTER ONE
"The Wall Monsters"

October 13, 1985

"I'm not sleepy, mommy." Sarah whined, dragging her heels toward her twin bed.

Sarah's mother Elizabeth pulled down the multicolored comforter and set Potsey upon the bed. "Please, just go to bed. We can't go through this every night. Potsey's ready for bed."

The five-year-old looked between her oversized teddy bear and her mommy. "Do I have to go to bed?"

"Yes, and say your prayers." Elizabeth gently tugged her daughter's brown curl.

Sarah sighed and knelt down beside the bed. The wood floors hurt her knees, but she didn't complain. Bowing her head, she placed her palms together. "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to take. Guide me safely through the night and wake me with the morning night. Amen."

"Good girl. Climb up into bed."

Standing up, she hopped onto the bed and slid her legs under the sheets. Her Rainbow Brite nightgown shifted up to her mid-thigh, and she yanked it down. Her gray eyes focused upon her mommy while she clutched Potsey bear in her arms. "Keep the light on, mommy."

Her mother pulled the sheets and comforter to Sarah's chin, and she tucked her in. "Honey, you are too old to have the light on."

"B-but, the monsters."

"There's no such thing as monsters."

She shook her head. "But there are monsters. I see them."

Smiling, Elizabeth walked over to the closet and opened the door. Neat rows of shirts and pants hung on clothes hangers. Three pairs of shoes sat on the closet floor. Moving the clothes around, she said, "There are no monsters in here."

She shut the door and knelt by the bed. "No monsters here either. See."

Sarah shifted and stuck her head beside her mommy's. Darkness clung underneath the bed, but her mommy was right. There were no monsters. "But, mommy—"

"No, honey. No monsters." Using the bed, she stood up and went to the door.

"Go to sleep," she said, her hand poised over the clown light switch.

"No!" Sarah clutched the blanket so hard her knuckles turned white. A look of pure terror plastered itself on her face like a spooky Halloween mask. "Please, mommy, keep the light on. Please."

Her hand wavered over the switch. "How about I keep the light on until you fall asleep?"

"Okay, mommy." The little girl relaxed against the sheets.

"Good night, Sarah."

"Good night, mommy."

Sarah watched her mommy leave the room. As long as she stayed awake, the light would be on. She widened her eyes while vowing not to fall asleep. The monsters couldn't get her if the lights were on.

Silly, mommy, Sarah thought. Mommy thought monsters hid in closets and under the bed. She had no clue.

3 comments:

Lisa Rusczyk said...

Very nice! Love it so far! Can't wait to read more. Keep those fingers tapping away.

Aubrie said...

Oh boy! Where do the monsters hide I wonder?

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Lisa and Aubrie. I'm still writing. Up to 16,000 words and hoping to get to around 20,000 before the end of the day. *crosses fingers*

Aubrie - Hehe! You'll have to read more and find out. I'll likely put up the rest of the chapter sometime this week or so on the blog. :D