BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Luck I've Had- Part III

Lucy brings the red haired woman to the nursery. I feel the moment slipping away. She'll pick a newborn and I'll be stuck here, the lady who was supposed to be my mom with another child.

They always pick the babies. No one picks a twelve year old girl like me.

I rush to my desk and pull out a piece of paper. My fingers shake as I work. I stick my hair behind my ear to get it out of the way and lick my lips as I draw the picture that will decide my life. In the background I hear her melodic voice, laughing. The sound makes me feel warm, gives me hope.

I only have broken crayons, and I'm missing the purple one, but I manage to color a decent house with two windows, a backyard with green grass, and most of all: me with her, holding hands. I've made sure to make her hair a pretty red color, and I draw a smile on each of our faces. That's the most important part. We have to be smiling, we have to be happy. I don't smile much myself. The muscles in my cheeks just can't do it some days. But I'm going to try to today.

I run up to them just as she leans over a baby that came in yesterday. Lucy sees me first.

"Jenelle, go back to the sunroom."

Some sun room it is. More like a dungeon. But I bite my tongue because the lady turns to see who Lucy is talking to. I hold out the picture.

"I did this for you."

"Oh my."

Lucy shoots me a glare and I know I'm going to be in trouble, but I don't care. This is my only chance.

The lady takes the picture in her long, porcelain fingers and I wait with my heart beating fast. I see emotions go through her blue eyes and I wonder what she's thinking. Did I draw the house wrong? Does it have three windows instead of two?

The lady looks at Lucy. "How about this one? Is she up for adoption?"

Lucy gives her a look that says I'm not worth it and I shrivel up inside. "I thought you said you wanted a baby?"

The lady shakes her head, red hair falling in beautiful waves across her shoulders. "No, I want this one." She smiles at me. "This one right here."

6 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! Great ending, Aubrie. I'm glad she chose Jenelle instead of a baby.

Aubrie said...

Thank you, Cherie! I enjoyed writing that!

Christine Rains said...

That's so sweet. I was worried there for a moment!

Aubrie said...

Thanks, Christine! I tried to create some tension :)

I love your profile pic, you look beautiful.

Cats! said...

Aww, great ending! I was worried for a sec, too!

Sheila Deeth said...

Hurray!!!