BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 22, 2011

Organizing a Book

One of the hardest things a writer does is organize a book in a creative way. We have to lay out the plot and character development in a way that makes sense, but still entices a reader. There are a few ways I try to do this when structuring a book.

I usually read a large portion of my MS before writing each time I sit down. It lets me remember little details I came up with and forgot. It gives me ideas as to how to progress the story. It also helps me retain the voice of the book.

Some people use outlines. This is especially a good idea if you're writing mysteries or thrillers. Even if you don't write well under the guidelines of an outline, it can be a useful tool when you do an outline of the parts you've already written. It can help you see the big picture, almost like an unfinished synopsis.

Be true to your characters. Get to know them. Think about them when you're trying to fall asleep. If you understand your characters, then plotting and organizing a book comes much more naturally. Make sure they're following the rules of the personalities you give them.

Finally, read lots of books and get ideas and a feel for the structure of books. They are all different, but one thing is the same: they are succinct and organized.

0 comments: