BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 14, 2010

Movie Review: Splice



A Sci fi/Horror/Drama that left me feeling sad and icky

From the Internet Movie Database:

"Elsa and Clive, two young rebellious scientists, defy legal and ethical boundaries and forge ahead with a dangerous experiment: splicing together human and animal DNA to create a new organism. Named "Dren", the creature rapidly develops from a deformed female infant into a beautiful but dangerous winged human-chimera, who forges a bond with both of her creators - only to have that bond turn deadly."

This movie started like a true sci fi movie, turned into a drama in the middle-let's just say with a little Erotica, and then went for full fledged horror at the end. Although some critics commended it for pushing the boundaries, I think in a lot of ways it went too far, leaving me with an icky sad feeling at the end. This is not a movie for kids, and it is definitely not a feel good movie or a movie you want to watch to cheer yourself up.

Although shocking, it does raise a lot of questions about scientific research and research subjects. There is a lot to chew on and I left the movie with a lot of ideas to digest. It seems to move from genre to genre, and I think true horror fans may be bored with the beginning and middle, whereas sci fi fans will gape at the end.

Only watch this movie if you are prepared for it, and don't bring anyone who is sensitive to certain things. The R rating isn't enough.

2 comments:

Cats! said...

Curious! Now I want to see it, although it seems you didn't like it too much. But at least it gave you some ideas. Genre hopping happens a lot in scifi movies. I don't know why. There's a difference between hopping and stretching the lines of genres.

JE said...

I've seen the previews for this movies and I thought it was something I might like to see. And now I've decided against it. Thanks for the review. ;-)

JD